What is a miracle? Dallin H. Oaks says a miracle is,“A beneficial event brought about through divine power that mortals do not understand and of themselves cannot duplicate.” So do miracles really exist? "Life is a series of thousands of tiny miracles" Mike Greenberg.
I have always believed in miracles. I have heard friends and family tell me about the miracles they have witnessed or experienced or have been blessed with. And I have been blessed with small miracles in my life as well. Sometimes we need miracles and trails in our lives to wake us up and to gain better perspective.
My family recently experienced a miracle. My dads family has a history of diabetes and heart problems. My dad has had diabetes for years. And has been taking blood pressure medication for a while as well. He went in to the doctor because he was getting shortness of breath when walking around. The doctor ran tests etc. And he ordered a EKG and stress test. The tests showed a blockage in my dads heart. So the doctor thought they should be able to fix it with a stent. Which is minor procedure they do all the time. The doctor told our family if for some reason they couldn't fix it they would have to do a open heart surgery. But he wasn't worried.
I was stressed to say the least. I had a feeling that my dad was going to have to have surgery. But I also deep down felt comfort and knew he was going to be ok. Well.... the procedure didn't go as they planned. The block in my dads heart was bad.... very bad. So bad in fact that the doctors are calling my dad a miracle. Science tells the doctors that my dad should have had a massive heart attack and my dad should be dead. But somehow he didn't and they don't know why he is alive. They are assuming there is a tiny little vessel pumping just enough blood into my dads heart.
Anyway.... they made my dad stay over night worried because like I said he should have had a heart attack. Then the next morning he had an emergency open heart surgery and had a triple bypass. At St. Marks Nick worked on the heart unit. So he kept reassuring me that everything would be ok. He was a great comfort to me. And I needed it... trust me. I was a mess. I already am a basket case. But just thinking about anything happening to my dad just made me crazy. The surgery went great! The doctor was so impressed on how well my dad was doing right after his surgery. He kept on saying how he couldn't believe it and how it was a miracle etc. My dad left the ICU quick. And he is now at home recovering.
I am so grateful for my family and friends and their thoughts and prayers. It really amazed me how much love and support my family received in their time of need. I had friends texting me asking if I needed anything. Nicks family texting us to see how we were doing. I felt so much love when I really needed it.
This experience has really woke me up. It reminded me that you cannot take anyone or anything for granted. Because life can change in a blink of an eye. It has taught me that no good deed, no small little comment goes unnoticed. So I made a goal for myself. I am not good with expressing myself. I do not like to show emotions or tell people my "feelings". I am very guarded and private and I tend to keep to myself. I am going to try and express myself better. And let my guard down and let people know how I feel about them. Life is way to short not to live it. I don't want to regret anything. I want my family and friends to know how much they mean to me. I want to be a better wife, daughter, sister and friend.
I am so grateful for the thousands of tiny miracles in my life.
1 comment:
I'm so glad that things went well with your dad's surgery. I've been thinking about you guys a lot lately. I always think your posts are so insightful.
Post a Comment