Friday, October 24, 2014

Pennsylvania

So once we landed in Philadelphia we headed right to the Liberty Bell we didn't want to waste any time. It was pretty cool seeing it in person. We then continued to walk around all of historic downtown Philadelphia. We saw tons of historical sights. Just to name a few... we saw where the Declaration of Independence was signed (Independence Hall). We saw Benjamin Franklins house. Well where it was since it got burned down. But the gates and cobble stone road to his house is still there. We also saw his grave. We saw where the Continental Congress met. And the tomb of the Unknown Soldier. I loved it!! After we were done exploring historic Philadelphia we just started to walk around all over Philadelphia. Of course we got some Birch Beer. Nick loves that stuff and it's a Pennsylvania thing so of course we drank a lot of it while we were there. We walked past tons of Pretzel and Cheesesteak trucks. My boss went to school in Pennsylvania so he told us you have to get their soft pretzels. So we did. They were pretty good.

But once we were all walked out we headed for Geno's Steaks and Pat's King of Steaks. Pat's is where the Philly Cheesesteak were born. So we had to go to the Original. And Geno's is also a famous place to get cheesesteaks and its Pat's rival. So we went to both places. Oh my gosh... they were amazing. I personally loved Geno's. Something about it. So good. Nick liked the meat better at Pat's but everything else he liked better at Geno's. But honestly you can't go wrong with either place. After dinner we headed to our hotel in Danville. 

We pull into Danville and right away I think to myself, " I can't live here". It was so dark. There were no lights. There were two hotels and McDonalds and one other restaurant and a gas station. I thought to myself, "This has serial killer written all over it." Nick and I wanted to get some drinks for the next couple of days. Our two options were McDonalds or the one gas station. We went to the gas station. We were checking out and Nick said to the cashier, "There isn't much to Danville is there." Her response, "No its a small town. But Danville is another 4 miles out." That gave me some hope. Maybe there is more to this town since we are not actually in it yet. 

The next morning we woke up and headed to Gettysburg. And this is the day I fell in love with Pennsylvania. Don't get me wrong I loved Philadelphia. Seriously. I loved it. But on our way to and from Gettysburg I got to see Pennsylvania. Not just Philly. And I loved it... it was like the cherry on top. It is so beautiful there. Trees everywhere! And all the trees were changing colors. I couldn't believe how pretty it was. 

Then there is Gettysburg. It was so awesome. We ran into a couple Senior missionary couples. They are so sweet. And Gettysburg is a whole different experience. It was so humbling. And so sad thinking about all the lives that were lost. We did the driving tour. We saw where every little battle took place. We saw where it all began. I loved it because I learned so much and it reminded me of things I had forgotten. We got to see where President Lincoln gave the Gettysburg address. And seeing all those graves just broke my heart. After a long day we headed back to Danville. And this is where Nick found out he got into National.

We explored Danville a little more. And let me tell you... it was nothing like the creepy serial killer town that I had thought. They have more than 2 places to eat. Maybe another gas station. Its still a small town. But its not dead and creepy like I had thought. Its actually really cute and charming. Then the next day we woke up bright and early. Nick headed to his interview at the hospital. And I waited in the hospital cafeteria and read my book. Yeah I could have explored and junk. But I really didn't want to get lost or get in an accident since my name wasn't on the rental car information ha. Plus I really wanted to read my book. After Nicks interview we explored Danville a little more. Then we head back to Philly. 

Our last night in Pennsylvania was pretty chill. We just went to Hard Rock of course. Then back to the hotel. We were beat. And had a early flight. Our hotel was way nice by the way. I was kind of sad we only spent one night there. But overall... our trip was a success. And I am pretty excited to move to Danville if thats where we end up.



Continental Congress meeting place
Look how cute!

Benjamin Franklins house


Independence Hall
Unknown Soldier Tomb
Quakers meeting place 

Best Cheesesteak ever!
Geno's
Pat's
Exploring Philly
New Jersey is behind us



The battle of Gettysburg started here





Gettysburg address was given here

Danville 
Danville
More Danville 
Hard Rock Philly




No comments: