A few weeks ago Nick and I hiked up Frary Peak in Antelope Island. I could lie and say what an amazing time I had. And how much fun it was blah blah blah.... but it wasn't all fun and rainbows and sunshine. Don't get me wrong... I had some fun. And I enjoy spending time with Nick... but really this hike sucked.
The beginning of the hike kicked mine and Nicks butt. I asked him if he was sure about this... and he said it wouldn't be that bad because its an all ages hike. So we continued on.... and it really never lighted up. There was no shade and was straight up hill... the whole time. Then we get to the last half mile and we basically had to rock climb to the top. I have short legs and so getting up those rocks was very difficult. Nick and I agreed there is no way this is an all ages kind of hike. This guy that was hiking up the same time we were even asked us, "Do people die on this hike?" He said some more colorful language and said, "This is scary." And he was right... it was scary. But we made it to the top. And it was beautiful. We didn't stay at the top very long because the bugs were starting to drive me crazy.
So we started to head down... and the first half mile down was way scary. We were slipping almost going off the edge. We continued down. Since going up was straight up going down was straight down. My feet wanted to go faster then my body. We were getting closer to the trail head and the end was in sight when all of sudden we started to get swarmed by gnats! They were everywhere! Nick swallowed one. We were getting them in our eyes. They were like a blanket covering us. We started to run down. I yelled, "This is why I hate nature! I am going to lose it!" I really thought I was gonna lose my mind. We finally made it to the car and we headed home. I was picking gnats out of my hair it was disgusting. When we noticed we had all these red dots on us. So we looked it up and at dusk gnats come out in swarms at Antelope Island and bite like crazy. We were covered in gnat bites. And they itched like crazy!! I had them all over my scalp, face, and a few on my arms. Nick had them all over his arms, legs, and his neck. I told Nick I am not going to Antelope Island again!
Even though the hike sucked and we got attacked by gnats... it had beautiful scenery. And like I said I do enjoy any time I get to spend with Nick.







No comments:
Post a Comment