Thursday, June 5, 2014

Grandma Heslop

Where do I begin....

The past month or so has been a difficult one to say the least. My Grandma Heslop got sick and went down hill fast. Easter weekend Nick and I went up and had lunch with her and my Grandpa and just hung out. The next Monday she was in the hospital. Even though she got released pretty quick she never really recovered. I was able to go up and visit her again last Thursday morning. She couldn't talk or anything. But I will always treasure my last few visits with her. This Tuesday (June 3rd) late afternoon she passed away at almost 92 years old.

Looking back at her and her life I am in awe of her. She is the perfect example of a Christ centered life. And I had forgotten that. I had forgotten some of her most wonderful qualities as she got older because she was unable to be her true self.

She wanted her grandchildren to be happy and healthy. And she loved spending time with them. Growing up I thought her and my Grandpa were so mean. Because they made me, Kiersten, and Levi eat our vegetables when they babysat us. I hated squash and zucchini and they always cooked it! I remember hiding it in my napkin so they thought I ate it. ha. But I also remember them babysitting us and taking us to McDonald's and letting us play in the play ground. And buying us happy meals. That was always such a treat. Every time we had to leave she would say stuff like, "Can't you stay longer?" and "Come back and see us soon."

She was also very domestic. I remember going to visit and she always had homemade bread. It was so good. We ate that bread like it was going out of style. We would go through a couple of loaves in a weekend. I remember her washing the dishes and all the girls taking turns drying them. I used to hate taking time out of playing to help my grandma dry the dishes. But now I am so grateful for those moments I got to spend with her. Every Thanksgiving she would make two or three pies from scratch. Crust and all. As she got older she was unable to bake and I remember it killed her to have to buy pies for Thanksgiving.

She was a hard worker and and always wanted to be helpful. My grandparents still have a garden. They plant about 200 tomato plants each year. I remember there was always beans and raspberries out there too. She loved working in the garden. She couldn't stand just sitting around and not being helpful. If my dad was in the kitchen cooking she would say, "Well what can I do?" and my dads response would be, "Just sit there and look pretty." And her response was always, " Well you have given me a hard job. " ha. She hated being waited on.

She had one the strongest testimonies I have ever witnessed. My grandparents going on a mission is something I will never forget. I remember being at the MTC and the workers giving their talks or whatever. And I remember this lady saying raise your hand if you are excited for your grandparents to go. And I yelled, " I'm not!" ha. I loved getting letters and postcards from them. And I loved writing them too. Not going to church wasn't an option for my grandma. If she was going to be late she would say to my grandpa, "Speed Ervin we are going to be late!" Her and my grandpa were temple workers for YEARS until she was unable to do it anymore for health reasons. The gospel was everything to her. She had her fair share of trails. But she didn't let them bring her down.

There is so much more I could say about my grandma... I have already said a lot. But I just feel like these words just don't give her justice. She was able to live a pretty awesome life. She saw a lot of things like the Great Depression, wars, a man walk on the moon, black and white t.v. to colored, etc. And she was able to experience a lot with my Grandpa by her side. I think she is pretty lucky ha. I told Nick earlier this week. I want a life my grandparents. I don't want to forget again how amazing my grandma was. I want to remember her example and try and live more like her. Sadly, I find myself falling short of her example everyday. But I want to do better. And I am so glad that one day I will be able to see my Grandma Heslop and my Grandpa Cragun again. I am so glad families are forever because I just love mine way too much so ever say good bye.

Disneyland 2009
August 2010

May 2011
April 2014






No comments: